Observations about the universe, life, Lausanne and me

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Destroying Stuff


I have expounded before on the joys of melting aluminum, destroying things and generally causing mayhem, which is what my PhD is really all about. Well, the other day I succeeded the first time in the destroying something, mainly ...

... TWO pieces of aluminum foil. Take that, oh capitalistic-industrial complex!

Everybody has to start small. But I am pretty happy, because my experiments have shown that it is viable to melt aluminum via a hollow cathode discharge - now I can refine my parameters and then proceed to (hopefully) melting thicker pieces.

The picture above shows, well, something that happens when the aluminum melts. It looks like a flame, but it is something else, since there is no oxygen in the environment. Most curious...

No comments:

Post a Comment