Observations about the universe, life, Lausanne and me

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Awesome melon cake and brussels sprouts gratin

What I cooked this weekend:

The main dish was a modification of Jamie Oliver's onion gratin. The original recipe was very good, but there is almost no dish that cannot be made more delicious by adding Brussels sprouts. Unfortunately I did not manage to snap a picture of it before my girlfriend and I were all over it like ravaging wolves, but here is how to make you very own:

(Feeds about three to four):

500g Brussels sprouts
4 red onions
200g crème fraiche
1/8l white wine
2-4 cloves of garlic
some cheese
olive oil
salt and pepper

Quarter the onions, and separate the resulting petals. Put the petals and the sprouts into a flat casserole ( I actually used my cake spring form), add a good glug of olive oil and the garlic, some pepper and some salt. Mix well, then add the white wine. Cover in aluminium foil, and put it in the oven at 200° centigrade for about 45 minutes. Then remove the foil, and let roast for another 15 minutes.

Stir in the crème fraîche, and sprinkle the grated cheese on top. (I used simple pizza cheese, but it would be probably even better to use a mixture of Parmesan and some other cheese) Turn down the heat to 180°, and leave it for another 15 minutes, or until nicely golden. Serve with some fresh bread. Njam!

As dessert, I made this melon cake, which surprised me very much. I didn't have too high hopes for it, as I wasn't too sure about the combination of bananas, honey melon and biscuit, but it worked just fine.

I have to admit that I cheated and bought the biscuit base. Then I cut up two bananas and covered the base with the slices, covered those in turn with melon slices, and drenched everything in 6 sheets worth of gelatin (which I prepared with two tablespoons of rum, for the taste). Let it rest in the fridge for about 1 hour, devour.

No comments:

Post a Comment