Observations about the universe, life, Lausanne and me

Monday, June 30, 2008

Borsic's Bitchin' Cuban Coffee Beef Stew

Since my girlfriend persist in totally unreasonable refusing to eat dead animals (or alive ones, actually) and I am generally too lazy to cook complicated stuff for myself, my crazy cooking skills mainly extend to base materials of the leafy persuasion. However, from time to time I feel my oats, and then I will hunt down some animal and put it in the pot.



Furthermore, I really like coffee. And for two years I have been sitting on this recipe for coffee stew with beef gravy (originally found here). I never could imagine how that would work, so I was leery of trying it. Last weekend the time had finally come, the stars were right and my girlfriend had abandoned me, citing pre-first-draft thesis submitting  jitters.

I modified it a bit, and here is the result:





Borsic's Bitchin' Cuban Coffee Beef Stew





(A cup is 250 ml)



1/2 kg boned rump roast

salt

coarsely ground black pepper

1 1/4 cups strong brewed coffee

1 cup beef broth

2 finely chopped onions

1/3 cup dry red wine

3 garlic cloves, minced

2 dried chili peppers

1 cup diced potato

1 cup diced carottes

1/2 cup whole pitted dates, chopped

2 cups hot cooked long-grain rice



Cut the beef into mouth-sized cubes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add beef, and cook 5 minutes or until browned. Add coffee, broth, onions, peppers and garlic and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45-60 minutes.



Add potatoes, carrottes and dates, bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Serve over rice.



Verdict:



Good Lord, this is the most awesomnestest stew I ever saw, made, or ate. The dates, wine coffee and stew are a blend made in - well, I would say heaven, but it is much too god for that (Also, it's Cuban, and they don't have that there). This is the original temptation, and if the stupid devil had offered that to ol' Jesus in the desert, we would all sing "Hail Satanas" in the church now. I will never eat anything else, ever.



Now I will only have to come up with a vegetarian version for my girl...

No comments:

Post a Comment