Observations about the universe, life, Lausanne and me

Thursday, December 4, 2008

iBrick Mk. II real world performance

About two weeks ago I built the iBrick Mk. II, an external battery for my iPhone. I calculated it's capacity to about 5000 mAh @ 5 V, assuming eight 3000mAh NiMh rechargeables. This would mean an extension of the iPhone's battery life of around a factor of four.

Unfortunately I did not have eight 3000mAh batteries - those buggers are expensive! So I had to made do with six 2500mAh and two 1200mAh accus,  sub-optimal since you shouldn't mix capacities. To make up for it, I gave the iBrick the iBrushed-Metal upgrade, which you can see on the right.

On Saturday morning I charged both the iBrick and the iPhone completely, and used the former exclusively to charge the latter until both ran out of power on Thursday morning. Normally my iPhone lasts me about a day and a half, so the iBrick lasted for around three and a half days, or a bit more than two complete recharges. That looks promising,  and yesterday I bought two more 2500mAh NiMhs, so I can see how much the low-capacity ones dragged the rest down. Stay tuned for more exciting updates about the iBrick!

No comments:

Post a Comment