Observations about the universe, life, Lausanne and me

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Jailbreak

Yes, I finally did it, I broke my iPhone out of Apples confining App-store straightjacket. It was very straightforward, and now I can finally sync my Google calendar with the iPhone's calendar. Take hat, Jobs!

I have not really installed any free applications except for Nemussync (the aforementioned syncing) and Winterboard (prettying up and costumising the GUI). An Searcher (see screenshot of it installing to the right), which searches through all your contacts, events and sms.

The only application that seems not to be available in either the App-store or free repositories is an alarm clock that plays music in the morning. Why? To me, this is such a basic functionality. Why should I have to wake up to some ugly ringtone each morning, when there are four gigabyte of music on the damn thing? Why???

On a happier note, I must have read more than 10 000 pages on my iPhone already. Right now I am reading, or trying to read, Dumas' Le Comte de Monte-Christo. A book I like, and have read multiple times in it's German translation. The French original, however, proves to be less... accessible. But I shall persevere, and learn such important words as l'artimon (foremast) in the process.

2 comments: