Observations about the universe, life, Lausanne and me

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Oh, the shame

The "book of bad French poetry" I cut up for my iBook Mark I? I just googled the author, a certain Monsieur Sully Prudhomme. The first winner of the nobel price for literature, for, and I quote:

"in special recognition of his poetic composition, which gives evidence of lofty idealism, artistic perfection and a rare combination of the qualities of both heart and intellect" 

Oh, the shame...

image: wikipedia

4 comments:

  1. Well, it was French, after all ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thing is, just because it was reknowned doesn't mean you like it.

    Classic is what works for you.

    On the other hand, if you want to look like you're reading something other than what you're reading, a Pulitzer prize winning author might be an excellent choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, but I was actually hesitating at the flea-market. Originally I wanted to cut up a bible, but I couldn't find a nice one. Then I looked at the other books on offer, and thought: "No, I can't just destroy one of those, they are too nice."

    I was already on my way out of the market when I decided to buy one after all. I discarded a couple that were too interesting to destroy, and grabbed that one, because I thought it was of no value... Just goes to show what I know ;)

    ReplyDelete