Observations about the universe, life, Lausanne and me

Friday, July 2, 2010

Charles

I met Charles at the hostel I am staying in, where he was helping out. We got to talking, and then some drunk Australian dude (you can always depend on drunk Australians) asked the question I was too bashful to ask: where you there at 9/11?




Turns out Charles was supposed to be in the twin towers for a job interview that day, but missed it because a co-worker in his old job was late that day.

Speaking to Charles made it clear to me why 9/11 was such a big deal to Americans. Because if you look at the dry statistics it wasn't, more people die on the roads every year by far. But looking at the dust clouds of the collapsing building and thinking: that could've been me, except for my drunk collegue - I guess that would get your attention...


- tales from the road

3 comments:

  1. The twin towers were abnormally underpopulated that day. Makes one wonder, doesn't it?

    My friend's ass of an ex-husband was supposed to be there, too, but he wasn't for some reason or another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That drunk australian wasn't me was it?? I don't remember that story and it makes me wonder...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope, totally different drunk Australian ;)

    ReplyDelete