Observations about the universe, life, Lausanne and me

Friday, May 11, 2007

Cooking


I like to cook.

It all started with the only reason any bacherlor starts to cook - I wanted to impress that girl I was after. Kind of like - oh look, not only am I a nerd (all physicists are nerds per definition. No way out of it.), I also cook! Also, there is the German saying of "Liebe geht durch den Magen" (i.e. Love goes through the stomach), which is either a pretty blatant hint at fellatio or alludes to the fact that if you feed enough to the female of your dreams, she won't be able to run away anymore. Combinations of those two meanings are possible and likely (if maybe icky).

Anyway, I took up cooking, and got hooked on Chinese cuisine. It's impressive, very easy (just throw everything in the wok in the right order), and I like the taste.

By the way, if you have any other means of ensnaring your future girlfriend (or boyfriend, I guess it also works the other way), don't mention you can cook. It's some kind of mental stare-down, and the first who blinks (and cooks) gets stuck with it for the rest of the relationship. Not that I am complaining. Only saying. Stop hitting me, dear.

Just last week I finally bought a Teflon-coated pan, and I am still kicking myself in the ar..shin for not doing that earlier, 'cause it saves about a gazillion minutes a week washing up. And here I present not only the fruits of about 15 minutes labor in the kitchen (did I mention that cooking Chinese, at least the easy things, is fast?), but also one of the very first pictures I took with the camera of my new mobile. Which is why it is crappy and blurred.

Teflon, or Polytetraflouroethylene starts to degrade at about 240 Centigrade. This isn't a problem in normal cooking, since oil starts to smoke at 200°C this is not normally a problem, but don't leave your anti-sticky pan empty over the fire for too long.

1 comment:

  1. There are other ways to ensnare a girl (see here), but they are more expensive than one is ever likely to spend on a cooking adventure :o)

    Fortunately for me Christina is a very good cook and I can hold my own as well. Thus we tend to share the responsibilities. To date it has been whoever's house it is they do the cooking - makes sense as they know where everything is and after 2 hours of flying to see each other the traveller rarely wants to cook. I'll let you know how it works out once we are married, living in the same city and the same house! :o)

    ReplyDelete