Observations about the universe, life, Lausanne and me

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Võ Vietnam




On Saturday, there was this big demonstration of my club. Thanks to the flu from hell, I couldn't participate since I missed out on training for it. At least that meant I could take pictures.

But.
It was dark, I didn't bring my tripod and I haven't yet bought a image stabilized tele lens, which would have been absolutely necessary.
Are you reading this, dear? Absolutely necessary, I say!

...

Well, well, well. I just wanted to add a link a review of the to the droolworthy Canon 70-200mm f/4 L IS on Ken Rockwells site (check it out if you are interested in photography tips and/or camera reviews, it's awesome), when I saw that there is a new lens out this october: The Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS (see photo on the left). The zoom range would work perfectly well with my 18-55 zoom, and it is image stabilized, and it's only about CHF 350, which is nice when compared to the CHF 1500 you will pay for the 70-200 f/4 IS.

But where is the drawback?

  • It is a EF-S, so it only works on Canons small crop factor SLRs, like the 40D, 30D, 20D, 20Da (astronomical), Digital Rebel XTi, Digital Rebel XT and the original Canon Digital Rebel (which I happen to own). So if I ever upgrade to a 1.3 or even full-frame SLR, I would have to buy a new lens.
  • You lose a stop at small angles
  • There are no reviews out yet
  • I am not too sure, but I don't think it uses USM focusing, meaning that you can't override autofocus manually, and it will be a bit slower.
I am going to get one anyway.

Ahh, where was I? Yes, bad image quality. I had to crank up the ISO, and use much too slow shutter speeds, hence graininess and overall blur.

The top picture is of Maître Cann, who has a school in Bin-Dinh (spelling?), and showed absolutely awesome Taos (or Katas, for the Japanese-minded of you) with the sword, the double-spear and weaponless. This guy can move! He is without doubt the best martial artist I have ever met.

His part was the best of what was an awesome 2 hours of martial arts, and I am looking forward to this evenings training!

No comments:

Post a Comment