Observations about the universe, life, Lausanne and me

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A Game of Go

Recently I have discouvered Go. I've been vaguely interested in the game for years, but had neither the opportunity to play, nor was my interest so strong that I actively joined a Go-club. But then my friend, the mad roboticist A (not to be confused with my other friends A&A, who are also mad, but in a quite different way) happened to mention that he was interested in playing Go as well.

A couple of weeks later, and now we have our weekly game of Go. I am sure we still play quite badly, but I've bought two strategy guides in the vague hope of improving my game.

It is funny that I like Go that much - I've never been able to warm up to chess that much. But the simplicity of the rules and the emergent complexity of the gameplay of Go really appeal to me. Now I am the proud owner of two boards (one for home, one for the EPFL), and I've also downloaded iGo for my iPhone so I can counteract A's unfair advantage, for I am sure he regularily plays his robots.


The photos, incidentally, show Go as it was meant to be played: By the flickering light of a petroleum lamp, with a nice single malt. (I know: ice in a single malt you ask, shuddering? But it was hot, and the single malt was not that nice.) Photos taken with my most excellent new Canon 500D, with the Canon EF 28 mm f/1.8 USM lens.

2 comments:

  1. Hm - looks like a double single malt - cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A double? You mean it comes in smaller amounts? Oh, the humanity!

    ReplyDelete